Planet E, Rush Hour, Aus
It all started in the spring of 1997 when Detroit native Matthew Chicoine, aka Recloose, made contact with techno pioneer Carl Craig by way of a legendary ‘demo-on-rye sandwich’. This fateful meeting led to the signing of Recloose to Craig’s seminal Planet E label and the birth of an eclectic and vibrant musical career.
Recloose’s musical roots trace back to years music study and playing jazz saxophone, later shifting focus to the art of collecting and mixing vinyl while at the University of Michigan. His eclectic DJ sets, first heard on Ann Arbor’s WCBN, led him to become an in-demand DJ, regularly playing at clubs and festivals in the EU/UK, USA, Japan, China, Singapore, Indonesia, Brazil, Australia and New Zealand.
Over his twenty-year career Recloose has developed into a standout of Detroit’s musical litter, releasing a number of groundbreaking 12”s for Planet E, Rush Hour, Delusions of Grandeur; remixes for the likes of Funkadelic, Herbert, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Tei Towa, Dennis Coffey, MJ Cole and Azymuth; a live album; and four full-length LPs debuting with ‘Cardiology’‚ on Planet E / !K7 in 2002.
In 2001 Recloose relocated to New Zealand to explore new musical horizons, releasing two LPs for Peacefrog and Sonar Kollektiv, assembling a live band that would tour the world, and dropping his largest tunes to date including the dancefloor stomper ‘Dust’ featuring Fat Freddy’s vocalist Joe Dukie. He went on to launch the Hit It & Quit It radio show with partner Frank Booker in 2009 (recently revived on NYC’s East Village Radio), and take up residence at Auckland’s Music and Audio Institute of New Zealand to set up and deliver a full-time DJ and Electronic Music Production (DJEMP) program.
In 2014 Recloose’s career entered a new phase, with him re-locating to Brooklyn, NY to re-invigorate his music making and take up work for DJ technology company Serato helping to run their artist relations program at their new Studio 2 facility in Greenpoint. He has a new EP slated for release on Aus Music in June 2016.
27th February 2017 Read this
AUS MUSIC: Recloose ‘Spirit Knows’ EP
16th February 2017 Read this
Thump: Recloose and Ezrakh’s Sultry New Jam “Geomancer”
22nd September 2016 Read this
Skiddle Q&A with Recloose
28th June 2016 Read this
Recloose included in Will Saul’s Guide To Music
1st June 2016 Read this
DJ Mag Select Recloose ‘Honey Rocks’ as Stone Cold Killer
- More News
- 2016 - Recloose - Honey Rocks EP [Aus Music]
- 2013 - Recloose - It’s Too Late EP [Delusions of Grandeur]
- 2012 - Recloose - Magic EP [Rush Hour]
- 2012 - Recloose - Don’t Get Me Wrong EP [Delusions of Grandeur]
- 2011 - Recloose - Saturday Night Manifesto EP [Rush Hour]
- 2010 - Recloose - Early Works [Rush Hour]
- 2008 - Recloose - Perfect Timing [Sonar Kollektiv/Loop]
- 2007 - Recloose - Backwards And Sideways: Live from the SFB [Fingertips/Octave Lab]
- 2005 - Recloose - Hiatus On The Horizon [Peacefrog/Loop]
- 2005 - Recloose - Us vs. Us [Rush Hour]
- 2002 - Recloose - Cardiology [Planet E/Studio !K7]
- 2001 - Recloose - Can't Take It Remixes [Planet E]
- 2000 - Recloose - Can't Take It [Planet E]
- 1999 - Recloose - Spelunking EP [Planet E]
- 1998 - Recloose - So This Is the Dining Room EP [Planet E]